MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Portal Database design help
Posted by: Shine Jones
Date: May 08, 2009 11:43PM

2,3. Yes, A company can be in multiple cities as well as states ! and in this case companies with different locations are considered to be multiple companies. So want to normalize in this way !
2,3. Yes cities are not going to be more than thousand, so in this case, you mean I don’t even need to put state as enum type ?
4. ok. But as a future prospective like an advanced search feature I want to give a privilege so that search can be made with address as add4.
# a lot of companies are there which have just one field filled, some have just two and some have all the four add fields filled up. Is this a problem ? is enum type like we used in phones table is the solution..? but if I go that way it’s further complicating my databse design and code..
8. yes, it’s basically a text. But this text is going to contain the category in which it deals. Let’s say a company ‘shine’ falls in category computer hardware, computer software and computer education. So its business details are going to be the same(computer hardware, computer software and computer education).
# as I am making a companies-categories table that means I am already storing the categories related to a company in the table which can help me out to display the details fetching it from the that table. But in this way I need to code more.. what is the good way to do it..?
9. Basically paid companies are going to get a trusted seal on its listing, moreover some features like a link to an add, or some advanced features.
10. I have a list of about 10,000 categories so set cannot be used.
Excel -> mysql
Problem is a lot of companies data needs to be edited,
-some companies have all of the add1-2-3-4 in just one field.
-business details are not written in a sorted way. For an example company shine have b-details like “computercomputerhardwarecomputereducation”.
-some companies have email id in business details and business details in add4 list.
# in any of the two ways you suggested, because of the way data is been in excel sheets, chances are of mistakes as far as I think i don’t know exactly.!! Moreover to create the categories-companies table, how this methods can help me out.? I think that it’s more of a manual work than to do it with programming !!
# About the query to show hints.
Yes its complicated, but is there any other way to reach out the same result ? my requirement is,in the category search, when I select a city, I type in a query. So it should start showing the hints of the categories, but…it should show only those categories which have companies from the city selected related to it.
To make it more clearer, if I select city a, and I type computer, (in category list there may be 100 categories, starting with the word computer) but every category starting with the word computer cannot have a related company with it in city a.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
April 27, 2009 12:12AM
Re: Portal Database design help
May 08, 2009 11:43PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.