MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Best way to store images
Posted by: laptop alias
Date: July 29, 2009 11:57AM

It's more common to store the content in the file system, but I'd be interested to know your superior's reasons for wanting to do otherwise.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a case for blobs offering greater integrity - but I'm not qualified to make it. With regards speed, if you do go down the blob route, make sure that the blobs are in a table consisting of just the blobs and their identifiers. Store anything (and everything) else in an annexe table. I don't know about any speed issues associated with this method, so I can't comment on that.

This topic is discussed ad nauseam in the db forums. Unfortunately, it usually descends into a slanging match without anyone laying out a truly coherent argument for or against. I can only conclude that there are ardent supporters of both strategies. FWIW, my personal preference is to store the files in the filesystem, but that's only because I'm more familiar with that approach.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Best way to store images
July 29, 2009 11:57AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.