MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Can a Mysql MyISAM or a InnoDB table benefit from a set of multi-thread and multi-disk I/O device?
Posted by: Rick James
Date: August 29, 2009 01:19PM

RAID striping is beneficial.
Write cache is very beneficial.
Standard policy at my work is RAID-10 (striping and mirroring). This give excellent reliability, plus good performance in high traffic.
It also has Battery Backed Write Cache, which both adds to the reliability and makes writes feel instantaneous.
(OK, it's not cheap.)

InnoDB, especially if you turn on certain reliability flags, will sync to the disk one or more times per COMMIT. Without a write cache, you cannot achieve more than 50-100 COMMITs per second. With the cache, thousands may be possible.

RAID (striping, 5, 10) with N drives effectively multiply the I/O bandwidth by somewhere between N/2 and N (depending on a lot of things).

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Can a Mysql MyISAM or a InnoDB table benefit from a set of multi-thread and multi-disk I/O device?
August 29, 2009 01:19PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.