MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Changing tmpdir causes InnoDB to break
Posted by: Emma Griffiths
Date: November 05, 2009 10:16AM

Hi All

I have been having some issues with my installation of MySql (server version 5.0.67 running on Ubuntu).

I have some databases where one table is ~1.5Gb in size and this has been causing me no end of problems, with kernel "Out of memory" errors occuring.

I recently realised that by increasing the swap space to about 3X the size of the maximum table I was getting rid of some of these problems on a slightly smaller database. Now I have a MySQL problem rather than a kernel one!

Trying to run my rather large select and sort query on the huge table tells me I have an Error 3 unable to write /tmp/.... My research suggested that this could be fixed by editing the my.cnf file so that tmpdir points to a much larger space. I tried this, restarted the server and found that all the InnoDB tables broke, I got an error: ERROR 1033 (HY000): Incorrect information in file.

I can fix this by putting the tmpdir back to /tmp but it doesn't help me as there isn't enough spce in /tmp! How can I increase this without breaking the InnoDB tables?

Furthermore, I've noticed that my ibdata1 is ~23GB in size, is this normal?! I have no ibdata2 and the ib_logfiles are both 5120KB in size.

My my.cnf contains the following:
[client]
port

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Changing tmpdir causes InnoDB to break
November 05, 2009 10:16AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.