MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: quickie.. query from version 3 into version 4.1?
Posted by: Erin ONeill
Date: July 28, 2005 07:03PM

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek when I responded to this post but I think you provided the in-depth discussion that will hopefully help people think about why they choose to create tables in a certain way. It certainly has made me think about it a lot more.

I don't use phpMyAdmin but my programmers do (as well as a LOT of web programmers designing MySQL tables and databases). And for some reason every table they create tends to have the dreaded NOT NULL default junk. I may be moving more into the programming side of things here at work and then I'll be the one creating tables and I don't use phpMyAdmin. Plus I don't just willy-nilly create tables w/o thinking about the data. I keep driving the programmers crazy when I make them stop and tell me about the data and not the code. THey want to jump ahead to the code and I want to hear about the data. I guess that's what makes me a db person first and a programmer 2nd.

I've been following this thread you linked to. I've been watching closely but not playing with it at all. Tomorrow when I get in to work (and access to a MySQL db) I'll play with it a bit. I'm sure something like it will come up here at work so I should really pay closer attention to it.

Thanks for the push and the indepth data modeling discussion. I look forward to a number of replies from posters in this forum (esp you, jay pipes & felix). I guess it means I'm a geek when I'm reading it at nite. :)

erin

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.