MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Thinking about sorting articles..
Posted by: Amy Peters
Date: April 21, 2010 07:39AM

Hi,

I run a Perl site where one important aspect is that members can post articles (and other people can comment on them). I'm thinking about how best to structure my table for the various sorting methods for viewing articles.

Articles are arranged in categories and people can view them by date published via each category, or by all articles.

However, I want to offer some additional sorting mechanisms. For example I want to be able to sort and return members, instead of just articles.

So listings of members (perhaps in "last online" order, which is a column in "members" table) who post mostly to a particular category. So it's going to have to go through the "articles" table and work out which category every article is in (by category id), how many articles each member has published and which category they have posted most articles too. That seems like a lot of work and in effect a table scan on both the members and articles tables?!

I'm wondering if it's more economical to somehow work this out as I go along (eg. a table with each member id and a column for each possible category id and how many of each they have (added to by perl script). However, that's essentially repeating information though, which you're not supposed to do in MySQL? Plus I'd still need to compare each column in each member row to see which has the highest value.

Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Thinking about sorting articles..
April 21, 2010 07:39AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.