MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Anyone know where a recent MySQL benchmark vs others can be found?
Posted by: Rick James
Date: April 26, 2010 11:15PM

<cynic>
The only reliable benchmark is the one you write with your application.

The only fair benchmark has allowed each side to tune their system/software.

If you need to compare performance today, you will run out of horsepower tomorrow.
</cynic>

Ok, maybe I can get serious... Let's pin down the type of benchmark you would like to find (and provide some more search keywords):

* Will you be using transactions (eg OLTP)? (If so, then InnoDB is indicated.)

* Will it be Data Warehousing? (Consider the InfoBright plugin for MySQL -- in certain applications, it will run circles around everything. But only certain applications.)

* If you need InnoDB and lots of cores (CPUs), you really need to benchmark with the latest 5.1 and the latest "InnoDB plugin". I have seen several benchmarks (MySQL vs MySQL) that show that that combo is noticeably better.

* Will your dataset exceed the size of RAM? (Benchmarks tend to test either CPU or Disk, not both.)

* If you expect to be I/O bound, are SSDs worth benchmarking?

* Will you be performing exactly (byte-for-byte) the same query repeatedly? If so, the Query cache will knock the socks off any competition. (Otherwise, it is an iffy feature.)

* How about massive (too big for RAM) random INSERTs? Consider TokuDB Engine for MySQL.

* Do you need "bit" indexes? MySQL is a no-show.

* What about FULLTEXT? GIS? Separate character sets for separate columns? Maybe Oracle is a no-show in these areas.

* Some applications love MySQL's LIMIT.

* Are you willing to tweak the benchmark to deal with the subtle differences among LIMIT, SEQUENCEs, ROWNUM, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Anyone know where a recent MySQL benchmark vs others can be found?
April 26, 2010 11:15PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.