MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Efficient MySQL for pagination of large amounts of data on website
Posted by: Miloš Rašić
Date: October 08, 2010 10:34AM

Thanks for your swift response. Discussing problems and solutions as your work on them helps a great deal.

My code will have to support any kind of interface as I'm writing code that will be used for many future projects. So, the user interface is undefined and the only thing I know is that the user might at some time want to open page 765 of 1000 with 20 items per page. The code will be used for systems running on local networks, not for websites, so an inexperienced user bookmarking a single page from search resutls is not an issue. However, an inexperienced user trying to navigate through hundreds pages of search results because he/she didn't enter enough parameters is a possibility.

It will most probably be a moving target in almost all use cases. This rules out a pre-built index, and I'm not really entusiastic about using a large cookie for an application that might be used on a busy LAN.

I'll probably stick with the 3. idea unless something better comes up.

As for an example, the same code will be used for all listings in an application, with or without a search. I guess an adress book or a listing for user accounts might be the most common use, for example. The user will have an option of changing the column by which the result is sorted.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.