MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Can't use MySQL - 1044 Access denied - From a beginner
Posted by: Jason Collier
Date: August 20, 2005 08:32AM

This is the first time I've tried using MySQL and I keep running into this problem. Everything installs properly from the MySQL pkg to the MySQL System Preferences Pane. I've initialized successfully through the System Pref Pane as well as successfully setting the password. The problem occurs when I go to use MySQL or when I try to do just about anything else. I keep getting this error:

mysql> USE mysql;
ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'mysql'

Any ideas? I originally tried installing MySQL 4.1.13 before, but was getting the same problem. That's when I decided to try out MySQL 4.0.21 from ServerLogistics in hopes that they had everything I needed to get started.

I've downloaded phpMyAdmin, but am not sure how to use it. From what I understand I need to install PHP and that is also brand new to me. I figured it wasn't worth installing PHP until I at least was able to get MySQL up and running.

I'm also open to any suggestions for a brand new user who just wants to start learning. I'm a quick study I just need a little help to get the ball rolling.

Installed on Mac OS X 10.3.9, Titanium Powerbook G4 1Ghz, 1Gig RAM, MySQL 4.0.21 Complete.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.