MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Multiple databases
Posted by: Andrew Blake
Date: April 23, 2011 03:32PM

What issues are there running potentially thousands of databases on one server - each having the same structure.

I have been googling and searching forums here but as yet havn't come across a good answer to this - only debate as to design.

I realize this is abnormal in conventional design however this design adds a great deal of versatility to our SAAS system helping make it suitable to a wider range of business types. Currently each user has their own database and can hence add to, and manipulate their own database if they need to. Basically combined with running php via suphp users of our system can safely enhance the functionality to suit their own individual needs - i.e. with their own stored procedures, tables views, extra columns etc which can then be accessed and linked to from php.

What I am trying to determine basically is along the lines of - does mysql require a certain minimum amount of mem per database, or are there other resources we are going to run short of etc as numbers get higher (in comparision to a single database)? Are there other pitfalls we need to be aware of with this design. Are there things we need to set in place.

We could if we had to switch to using a conventional design but we couldn't then offer the same versatility/expandability hence conventional design is inferior for this purpose.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Multiple databases
April 23, 2011 03:32PM
April 24, 2011 05:17PM
April 24, 2011 11:32PM
April 25, 2011 11:06PM
April 26, 2011 01:23PM
April 26, 2011 03:12PM
April 26, 2011 08:04PM
April 26, 2011 08:44PM
April 26, 2011 11:22PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.