MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Killed by joins. 1 minute selects in Access, 15 minutes in mySQL
Posted by: Mark Daly
Date: July 14, 2011 10:32AM

Thanks guys. In case no-one else mentions it this week, you rock!

I'm still seeing slow queries, but I'm getting up to speed on this indexing business, and I'll make another run at it. I understand the logic behind your index suggestions now Peter. Will post the results soon.

There is definitely room to improve datatype selection, and I'll look into your suggestions. As for imposing NOT NULL, the data being sent to me isn't production-worthy, so every file would be rejected with even moderate data controls. While the data is being cleaned by our provider, I have to move ahead with what I have.

As for including every symbol traded worldwide, my desktop is already a hero for just handling the data volume from my local exchange. 32,000 is just not a reality :)

If anyone, like me, needs a greally good primer on indexes, read all the cases on this site: http://hackmysql.com/case1. Then read them again. It's GOLD for beginners.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.