Re: why my db don't use index?
Posted by: Rick James
Date: July 14, 2013 12:26PM

Please provide the counts and times for
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM artikel_Mode;
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM artikel_Mode
WHERE MATCH (ueberschrift,beschreibung) AGAINST ('wolle' IN BOOLEAN MODE) ;
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM artikel_Mode
WHERE MATCH (ueberschrift,beschreibung,anbieter,marke) AGAINST ('wolle' IN BOOLEAN MODE) ;

> Another question. I have to update all productdata in every night. Is it better to write them in temporary tables and after all data imported to rename to the right table-names? I think, the index will new created every night and it will be better as a update of the tables, isn't it?

It depends.

Do you have sufficient time every night to perform the operation? Of so, then I say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

If the reload causes downtime, and this is undesirable, then two options (both of which you mentioned):

Plan A:
CREATE TABLE new LIKE artikel_Mode;
ALTER TABLE new DISABLE KEYS;
LOAD ... into artikel_Mode ...;
ALTER TABLE new ENABLE KEYS; -- This might work faster than doing the indexing during the LOAD.
RENAME TABLE artikel_Mode TO old, new TO artikel_Mode;
DROP TABLE old;
There will be zero downtime. The RENAME is 'instantaneous' and atomic.

Plan B:
Load the new data into a temp table.
INSERT INTO artikel_Mode SELECT ... FROM artikel_Mode RIGH JOIN temp ON ... WHERE ... IS NULL -- to get new rows.
DELETE artikel_Mode LEFT JOIN temp ON ... WHERE ... IS NULL -- to remove missing rows.
UPDATE artikel_Mode JOIN temp ON ... SET ... WHERE ... (any differences) -- update rows.

If the nightly load has only a few differences, there might be some advantage of Plan B.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: why my db don't use index?
July 14, 2013 12:26PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.