MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Building Graphs with MySql data
Posted by: Dan Barrett
Date: November 15, 2013 12:56PM

I have a very basic question, before I attempt to do what I am about to do.

I want to have user-generated graphs from in my website. All the data needed will be in a database. Here is how I thought I could go about this, so please just advise me, if you can, as to whether I am solving this problem in the best way. I have only been learning how to build websites for about two months. I need to figure this out for myself, but I'd like to know if my logic is sound.

My thought was to have two dropdown menus on the page: one to selected the x variable, and one to select the y variable (simple line graph). The variables would be submitted to php variables, and I'd run the MSQL query on submit.

I'd then pass the returned array into a jquery array and use that to build the graph, which I think I can do. I have one big question:

I'd like for users to be able to chart several different variables, and or change the scale (example, only including a portion of the data, etc.). Should I return all results from my database (basically, pull the entire thing, which IS NOT VERY large and WILL NOT increase (it's scientific data), or should I make them resubmit queries to mysql? I'm getting the impression that querying the database too often is not the best practice.

So, am I on the right track! Thanks for the all the help!!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Building Graphs with MySql data
November 15, 2013 12:56PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.