MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: MySQL / WebFront End / Best Language to support?
Posted by: Rick James
Date: April 21, 2014 09:38AM

(Caveat: This is my opinion...)

I prefer Apache + PHP + HTML + CSS. (That stack is available in both Linux and Windows, 99% compatible.)

Frameworks, Ruby on Rails, etc are fine for prototyping, etc, but keep you too remote from the real code. This forum is littered with carcasses of projects that took some framework to the limit, then came here pleading for a performance boost, while saying "I can't change the schema / queries because of the framework I am using".

C# and C++ are verbose in coding. The performance improvement is likely not to be in the area where you spend the most time. I'd rather spend my time focusing on the project, not of the details of a verbose language.

Java adds a dimension of memory usage that takes away from other memory users, without necessarily providing much benefit.

Perl is obfuscative, without any real advantage (as a CGI) over PHP.

PHP (and some others) auto-recompiles. This means that the development cycle is;
edit, save, test
Note the lack of an explicit compilation step. Furthermore, recompilation happens only when necessary. (It checks file dates.)

With PHP, use either mysqli_* (not mysql_*) or PDO.
With Perl, use DBIx::DWIW.

Split the functions:
MySQL -- storage of raw data;
PHP (or whatever) -- business logic;
HTML -- layout;
CSS -- formatting

In rare cases AJAX can be important. See also YUI (YDN) for fancy presentation tools; it uses JavaScript under the covers.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: MySQL / WebFront End / Best Language to support?
April 21, 2014 09:38AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.