MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Simulating sequences
Posted by: Rick James
Date: July 07, 2014 08:50AM

> I have the code in a single transaction - with just the two sql statements (the update and the select last_update_id).

No. Leave the UPDATE as a stand-alone transaction. Last_insert_id is local to the connection, so there is no need to put the SELECT inside a BEGIN...COMMIT.

I recommend not even putting the UPDATE inside any other transactions -- get the sequence number before BEGINning the 'real' transaction.

> So, back to the original question: Is the update statement SUPPOSED to lock the row for its full execution (read/increment/update) or is that not thread safe?

It is thread safe. No extra locking is necessary.

> My transaction level on the connection is READ_COMMITTED.

Why? The default tx_isolation may be less problematical.

> Last_insert_id() has two known peculiarities---it reports IDs per connection (whereas your sequence must be general),

That's what's expected; what is the problem, Peter?

> and on multi-row inserts it reports the first id generated, not the last.

The UPDATE is clearly a single-row.

Another thing to try: Make your sequence table MyISAM.

I find that over 99% of SEQUENCE cases can be rewritten as AUTO_INCREMENTs. This leads to more efficient code, less hassle, etc. However, it does require rethinking some of the design, especially if you need the SEQUENCE before you do an INSERT to get the AUTO_INCREMENT.

Please provide a small test case that demonstrates the problem.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
June 30, 2014 10:26AM
June 30, 2014 10:49AM
July 02, 2014 01:37PM
July 03, 2014 12:17PM
Re: Simulating sequences
July 07, 2014 08:50AM
July 07, 2014 11:25AM
July 07, 2014 08:16PM
July 08, 2014 03:08PM
July 08, 2014 08:03PM
July 09, 2014 12:56PM
July 09, 2014 03:13PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.