MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Not sure where to start with MySQL
Posted by: Patrick Arendse
Date: September 19, 2016 10:16PM

Hi Peter

As per your advice I clicked on Introduction to databases and started reading Relational Databases which I see is authored by yourself and Arthur Fuller. All went well up to a point when I got stuck. Something did not make sense to me. So I hope you do not mind me asking as I do not like proceeding without full understanding. Maybe it was a typo or maybe my lack of understanding (more likely the latter!).

Anyway, under the heading, Some basic facts about sets, there is a line:

Given two sets A and B, the members that belong to A and/or B constitute the union of A and B—in Fig 2, M-P-C + C-M-P + M&C as per Fig. 2.

Now if set A = Men, and set B = Crooks then to me the Union of A and B = M-P-C + M&C + C-M-P + M&P + M&C&P + C&P. I thus get 3 more terms because is M&P and M&P&C not part of A and C&P also not part of B? Why were these left out in the union expression?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Not sure where to start with MySQL
September 19, 2016 10:16PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.