MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Can't read in Greek characters
Posted by: Bob Wilson
Date: December 26, 2016 11:24AM

I have an old shop using the Greek language that is working fine. I'm updating it to a newer shop but the Greek characters stored in the database are displaying as gibberish, like ôï ëåðôüôåñï. If I update the text in the database with actual Greek, then I can read it back the same. It is the existing text in the database that is not being converted.

The only difference I can see in the database is that the collation for the old database is utf8_general_ci. The collation for the new database is utf8_unicode_ci. I tried changing the collation of the new one to the old one using the command

ALTER DATABASE db_name COLLATE utf8_general_ci

It said it worked but when I checked the tables they had not changed. In searching for a fix to this problem. I don't know if that matters.

I found a post somewhere that said to run this command:

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'character_set_%';

I did that and it shows the character_set_server is set to latin, not utf and the post said that was the cause of the problem. But when I changed that, the characters of the old shop became gibberish so I had to remove it.

If I look at a file on the new site that has Greek characters stored in the file, it displays correctly. So this seems to be a problem with just reading existing data from the database.

I've tried many suggestions found on the web but none work. Does anyone know of a way to fix this or, at least, something to try?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Can't read in Greek characters
December 26, 2016 11:24AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.