MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Subquery returns more than 1 row error
Posted by: Graham Bucknall
Date: May 12, 2017 01:54AM

I am developing a php/MySQL system. The database records actions and time spent on matters. The actions are recorded in the table matterjunactions where the time is recorded as a decimal in the field ‘howlong’ and the hourly fee stored in the field ‘fee’. They are linked to the matters table by matterid. When a set of actions have been billed the field ‘billed’ reads ‘Y’

I have a page that is producing a report from a number of tables including the tables above. It works fine until I try to add the sum of howlong*fee for all of those actions where billed=’N’ when I get the ‘Subquery returns more than 1 row’ error.

The code I have added to get the totals (which is the one that gives the error) is:

(Select ROUND((SUM(howlong*matterjuncactions.fee)),2)
FROM matterjuncactions JOIN matters ON
matters.matterid=matterjuncactions.matterid
WHERE matterjuncactions.billed='N' GROUP BY matters.matterid) AS nonbillsum

The whole query is:

SELECT `ref`, nickname, type, statusnsteps, finalemail, bible, (matterjuncoriginals.sent) AS origsent, GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT staff.initials SEPARATOR '; ') AS lds, CONCAT(DATE_FORMAT(matterjuncupdate.updatedate,'%D %M %Y'),' - ',matterjuncupdate.who) AS uptext, (Select GROUP_CONCAT(distinct initials SEPARATOR ', ')
from matterjuncstaff INNER join staff on staff.staffid = matterjuncstaff.staffid
where matterjuncstaff.lead = 'N' AND matterjuncstaff.matterid = matters.matterid) AS otstf,
(Select ROUND((SUM(howlong*matterjuncactions.fee)),2)
FROM matterjuncactions JOIN matters ON matters.matterid=matterjuncactions.matterid
WHERE matterjuncactions.billed='N' GROUP BY matters.matterid) AS nonbillsum
FROM matters
LEFT JOIN matterjuncstaff ON matterjuncstaff.matterid = matters.matterid AND lead = 'Y'
LEFT JOIN staff on matterjuncstaff.staffid=staff.staffid
LEFT JOIN matterjuncupdate ON matters.matterid=matterjuncupdate.matterid
LEFT JOIN matterjuncoriginals ON matters.mattercode=matterjuncoriginals.mattercode
LEFT JOIN matterjuncactions ON matters.mattercode=matterjuncactions.mattercode
WHERE `state` = 'Open' AND type='1'
GROUP BY matters.matterid
ORDER BY nickname ASC

I have looked at a number of answers to the ‘Subquery returns more than 1 row’ error but they haven’t helped me. Somewhere I saw that I should use a join with the subquery but I can’t work out how to get that working. I accept that my code is not the best but any help in solving this would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Subquery returns more than 1 row error
May 12, 2017 01:54AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.