MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: How to handle multiple MySQL installations for database design, and web development
Posted by: Peter Brawley
Date: September 01, 2018 03:53PM

> if I install Photoshop I can't install 3 different copies/versions. This is why MySQL is so confusing

Mercifully, MySQL isn't designed with the Windows philosophy in mind.

Some use cases need multiple MySQL installations on one machine, so each instance of MySQL must be self-sufficient, ie each has its own configuration file, its own port, its own data files &c.

I don't know MAMP (I use Mac only when necessary), but my experience is that its sister WAMP is not easy to get working with MySQL instances that weren't in the WAMP package. On the machines where I have LAMP or WAMP, all other software that needs MySQL uses the LAMP/WAMP instance of MySQL. If your PHP framework is decently designed, it'll be able to work with any correctly installed and configured MySQL instance.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.