MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Two MySQL Servers same network different versions
Posted by: Tanya Crawford
Date: September 29, 2018 06:13AM

Hello. First time here. Please forgive the lack of correct terminology.
I've used MySQL as a database for a website I wrote several years ago. It was on Windows Server 2008 R2. Due to life getting in the way I had to shelve it so I barely scratched the surface.

Since the arrival of Windows 10 I've had to upgrade the server to Windows 2012 R2.

I am also running a dedicated PC for Kodi. Due to complexities of running two instances of MySQL on one PC, and the fact that Kodi only supports a very old version of MySQL I set up the dedicated PC. This PC uses port 3306.

I have some time now to get back to my website development. It's for my own personal use and won't be accessed outside my network.

So now I'm trying to install MySQL on the Win 2012 R2 server and it's crashing during the configuration. Error is Unsupported parameter ';protocol when attempting to start the server.

I've pretty much left the installer at defaults (except for passwords), and I've selected Server Only (I will do the development from my PC using Dreamweaver and Workbench).

I've spent the last couple of days reading tutorials and documentation but can't find anything that explicitly deals with the issue I'm having.

I'm a newb at MySQL. I used to use MS Access for my DB, but I'm keen to learn.

So; Questions

(1). Running two MySQL servers on the same network but on different machines.
(a). Should I use different ports for each server?
(b). Should it be bound ONLY to the specific IP of the machine?

(2). Why is the configuration failing with the ';protocol error?

any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your patience.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Two MySQL Servers same network different versions
September 29, 2018 06:13AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.