MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Problem creating new user with all privileges
Posted by: Lawrence Hale
Date: July 15, 2020 06:08AM

I'm running Server version: 8.0.20-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 (Ubuntu) and trying to add a user and grant all privileges. On initial installation Root password was set and user for myself was created and all privileges were granted to myself. Now I need to create a new user with all privileges granted but can't log in as Root to grant all privileges to the new user and it won't allow me to grant the privileges. Here are the commands I've tried:

mysql> CREATE USER 'xxxxx_xxx' identified by 'yyyy';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON * . * TO 'xxxxx_xxx'@'localhost'
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'me'@'localhost' to database 'zzzzz'

I've verified my privileges as follows:

Grants for larry@localhost |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, RELOAD, SHUTDOWN, PROCESS, FILE, REFERENCES, INDEX, ALTER, SHOW DATABASES, SUPER, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES, EXECUTE, REPLICATION SLAVE, REPLICATION CLIENT, CREATE VIEW, SHOW VIEW, CREATE ROUTINE, ALTER ROUTINE, CREATE USER, EVENT, TRIGGER, CREATE TABLESPACE, CREATE ROLE, DROP ROLE ON *.* TO `larry`@`localhost` |
| GRANT APPLICATION_PASSWORD_ADMIN,AUDIT_ADMIN,BACKUP_ADMIN,BINLOG_ADMIN,BINLOG_ENCRYPTION_ADMIN,CLONE_ADMIN,CONNECTION_ADMIN,ENCRYPTION_KEY_ADMIN,GROUP_REPLICATION_ADMIN,INNODB_REDO_LOG_ARCHIVE,PERSIST_RO_VARIABLES_ADMIN,REPLICATION_APPLIER,REPLICATION_SLAVE_ADMIN,RESOURCE_GROUP_ADMIN,RESOURCE_GROUP_USER,ROLE_ADMIN,SERVICE_CONNECTION_ADMIN,SESSION_VARIABLES_ADMIN,SET_USER_ID,SHOW_ROUTINE,SYSTEM_USER,SYSTEM_VARIABLES_ADMIN,TABLE_ENCRYPTION_ADMIN,XA_RECOVER_ADMIN ON *.* TO `larry`@`localhost` |

Can someone help me out on this?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Problem creating new user with all privileges
July 15, 2020 06:08AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.