MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Differing Decimals
Posted by: Brian Antos
Date: March 10, 2021 05:38PM

I'm working on a database for the scales at my work place. We have a quite a few - and quite a few different types. They're categorized by capacity and resolution. One might be 320g x 0.001g (320 gram max and shows 3 decimal places). Another might be 25 lb x 0.01 lb (25 pound max and shows 2 decimal places).
The scales have to be checked on a daily basis, so one of the tables I've built is a "standards" table. It has the test point, the tolerance, the units, and the number of decimals that the particular scale shows:

CREATE TABLE standards(
standID INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
tp DOUBLE,
tol DOUBLE,
unit VARCHAR(3),
ndec INT UNSIGNED,
PRIMARY KEY(standID),
UNIQUE (tp,tol,unit,ndec)
);

I went with DOUBLE for the tolerance because the decimals are not fixed for all scales. I included the "number of decimals" (ndec) to compensate for that.

When I select the data, is there a way to use the value of one column for the precision of another?

I just tried a quick experiment:

SELECT standID, tp, CAST(tol AS DECIMAL(6,3)), unit, ndec FROM standards;

to see if the 'tol' column would display with 3 decimal places, but that didn't work either.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Differing Decimals
March 10, 2021 05:38PM
March 10, 2021 06:24PM
March 11, 2021 04:48PM
March 11, 2021 05:25PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.