MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Date differences by record based on another field
Posted by: Jason Beasley
Date: April 15, 2021 09:53PM

Evening all.

I am relatively new to using MySQL and I had a question about how to properly write out a statement to essentially correctly calculate date differences based on when product (Invoice #) checks into our warehouse (StatusCD = I) and checks out (StatusCD = O).

An example:

I have a table with three rows and three columns as follows, row one is: Invoice #: ABC123, StatusCD: I, Date: '2021-04-01'. The second row is: Invoice #: ABC123, StatusCD: O, Date '2021-04-10. The third row is: Invoice #: ABC130,StatusCD: O, Date: '2021-04-10'.

I am trying to create a case statement, or something similar which would do the following:

If the Invoice# is the same, and the StatusCD is in both I and O then give me the date difference (in days), basically 2021-04-10 (StatusCD O) - 2021-04-01 (Status I). It will always be StatusCD O date - StatusCD I date. I would expect to see 10 days as the result.

To add to this, I also need to bucket any Invoice # that has a StatusCD = O but NOT equal to I as I do not want to include those occurrences in the age bucket noted above . I was thinking that could be a separate case statement just with a 0/1 flag that I could just filter out the invoice #'s that fall under this situation, I just can't seem to get it working correctly.

Lastly, if an Invoice # has only a StatusCD = I but has no record with an O, I want to show the Date difference from Today's date - the date the record was recorded with a StatusCD of I. Ultimately once the Invoice# gets a new record added with a StatusCD of O, it would shift to just showing the date difference between the two record entries.

I ultimately am trying to track the # of days a product sits in our warehouse by showing the # of days from checking in (I) to checking out (O). Unfortunately we have some records that only have a check out (O) and no check in (I) so I want to ignore those records since I cannot accurately provide a "Time in warehouse." And those records that are still in the warehouse (I) but have not been checked out, I need to give the date difference from Today's date (curdate()) - Date where StatusCD = I.

I realize I have explained the ask twice but I wanted to do so to hopefully not cause confusion.

Currently I have this logic built and the date difference works but it doesn't include the statusCDs as I am a bit lost as to how to approach that piece.

Any help would be fantastic.

This is for work and I am trying to show a proof of concept. It's late and could just be having a brain fart but I figured I would try a forum.

Thank you again.

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Date differences by record based on another field
April 15, 2021 09:53PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.