MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Problem moving visual studio mysql application from windows 10 to 11
Posted by: Thomas Ryan
Date: June 02, 2022 02:42PM

Learning to use mysql and visual studio. Porting simple application from one computer with windows 10 pro to another with windows 11 Home.
Installed mysql from mysql-installer-web-community-8.0.29.0
Visual studio on both machines is 2019
Mysql username is root
Password is root
Can connect to and query database using workbench 8.0
conn.ConnectionString = "server=localhost;user id=tmr;database=stock;Password=root";
conn.Open();
gives the following error: MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: 'Authentication to host 'localhost' for user 'tmr' using method 'sha256_password' failed with message: Access denied for user 'tmr'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'

I have no idea what sha256_password is but if I go to the login tab on workbench and look at the root user, the authentication type is caching_sha2_password on the machine that works and standard on the machine that doesn’t. Although the authentication type seems to be a dropdown box on both, changing the type doesn’t seem to be allowed on either.
I have looked at a number of solutions online and none seem to fit. Any help is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.