MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Upgrade from 5.5 to 5.6 is causing 'MySQL server has gone away'
Posted by: Peter Brawley
Date: June 28, 2022 02:38PM

You have 21GB of InnoDB dbs and 5GB of MyISAM. To run query-heavy processes on that much data in memory rather than paging to disk, you'd need up to that much RAM.

I agree you appear to be running out of RAM, though there's much you've not reported. So it appears your app is under-resourced. If there's available RAM, increasing innodb_buffer_pool_size might help temporarily. Without more analysis, though, we're only guessing what the exact RAM overload consists of.

But again, beyond that, 5.6 is past end-of-life, I no longer have a live instance of it to check anything on, I can't help you configure it.

If it's me, I do a complete backup dump, run the "optimisation cheatsheet" at https://www.artfulsoftware.com/infotree/mysqltips.php, study its output, decide how much more RAM I need, add it or get a machine with that much RAM, install 5.7, configure it appropriately, load in the DBs, test the app and debug the configuration, and when it all runs, I repeat that whole process for 8.0. When the 8.0 instance passes all tests, I bring up this new production machine in place of the current one.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.