MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Brand new. What do I do to set up mysql. Instructions not working.
Posted by: Eric Martin
Date: January 10, 2024 10:10PM

Hi,

I cannot post pictures, so suffice it to say that when I go to the https://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-getting-started/en/ site to install, I'm immediately lost.

For example, I go to the Installing and Starting MySQL link. I scroll to Windows. It tells me to go to another link for instructions: The MySQL Installer Method. In turn, that tells me to download using this other link, which I click on. That reminds me to be sure of the file checksum. WTF is that?

I go on. There are two downloads titled EXACTLY the same thing. One is 2MB and the other is 200MB - no instruction on which is which.

I pick one and it starts messing with my computer. I go back to the Installer Method instructions. Says I should choose Developer Default setup type. Guess what - there is no Developer Default option in the setup screen. They must have updated the program without updating the instructions. And I verified I'm looking for the correct version of the instructions...because they're all the same at this point.

This goes on and on and on.

I think I have the dang thing installed and configured...somehow. I get a command window with a prompt - looks like old DOS. I go to the instruction that says "connecting and disconnecting from the server" and it says this: $> mysql -h host -u user -p ... this is how to connect.

It doesn't work. I try variations. Eventually typing "mysql" works. I must be connected! And it must not need a user/pass. Whatever, I'm making progress. So I type in \? for help. Ah, to disconnect type "quit". I type quit. Does it quit? No - it has no idea what I'm talking about.

What the heck is going on here???

Is there an actual instructional site that says "if you see this, type in that"? Surely the instructions I'm following are not accurate, nor clear, and I know a lot of it's above my head.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Brand new. What do I do to set up mysql. Instructions not working.
January 10, 2024 10:10PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.