MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: SubQuery Help
Posted by: Steven Weintraut
Date: August 15, 2004 03:34PM

oops. probaly should clairfy

yes, I meant to say contains rather than starts with...simple error on my part

but as far as the dates go

this started out in that next to each customer name in the result set I not only want to display the name, address, city, etc, but the number of days since the last visit to that customer. And I also want to be able to sort by the number of days since the last visit.

So since I have to reference the number of days since the last visit twice in the query (once as a result column, once as an ORDER BY value), I was looking for a way to "store" the data as an alias so I could use it more than once in the query statement (once again, once to include it as a result column, and a second time as an ORDER BY value)

So imagine we have a table called "contacts"

RecordID, LastName
10, Smith
20, Jones
30, Johnson
40, Munster

And we have a table called "calendarevents"

RecordID, CustomerLink, EventDate
1,30,2004-08-04
2,30,2004-08-01
3,20,2004-07-08

So I want to do a search on customers in the contacts database and get something like this

Customers with the letter J in there name sorted by Number of Days Since there last Visit

Customer Name ------------------ Days Since Last Visit
===================================
Johnson 11 Days
Jones 35 Days

It sounds like I can't do this with a single query? I was just figuring that I just didn't understand complex SQL enough to make this happen, but then again, perhaps it can't be done as elegantly as I would like?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
August 15, 2004 02:33PM
August 15, 2004 03:12PM
Re: SubQuery Help
August 15, 2004 03:34PM
August 15, 2004 03:43PM
August 15, 2004 03:46PM
August 15, 2004 08:30PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.