Privileges on tables/columns with special characters
Posted by: Eric Martel
Date: June 16, 2005 02:19PM

Hi,

I use MySQL 4.1.11.

The question I have is regarding privileges. I can set privileges on tables and columns having French accents in their name without any problem, and they work fine; for example here is an output of a SHOW GRANTS statement:

mysql> show grants for bidon;
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for bidon@% |
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'bidon'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '(ERASED)' |
| GRANT SELECT ON `test`.* TO 'bidon'@'%' |
| GRANT INSERT (Élève), UPDATE (Élève) ON `test`.`École` TO 'bidon'@'%' |
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

However, when I look at the privileges directly with a SELECT statement, the accents are replaced by UTF-8 garbage:

mysql> select * from mysql.columns_priv where User='bidon';
+------+------+-------+------------+-------------+---------------------+---------------+
| Host | Db | User | Table_name | Column_name | Timestamp | Column_priv |
+------+------+-------+------------+-------------+---------------------+---------------+
| % | test | bidon | Ãcole | Ãlève | 2005-06-16 13:55:56 | Insert,Update |
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

Is that normal? The problem is that a program like phpMyAdmin calls SELECT statements on mysql.tables_priv and mysql.columns_priv tables to get privileges from them, and it will get and display only those garbaged names. It prevents me from using it to modify existing privileges since phpMyAdmin will try to modify such privileges on garbaged names, unrecognized by the server.

I wanted to ask the question here before I contact phpMyAdmin people. Is there any MySQL setting I overlooked? Is it phpMyAdmin's fault? Is it a MySQL bug?

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------
More info:

I recently migrated a database from MySQL 4.0.20 to 4.1.11. After some tuning here and there, everything works fine but for the fact that I can't manage privileges with phpMyAdmin (but I can with the mysql command line client). I have multiple data, tables and columns with French accents in them, such as é, ê, à, â, etc. and everything looks fine. For example, here is a sample table I created:

mysql> show full columns from `École`;
+--------+--------------+-------------------+------+-----+---------+-------+---------------------------------+---------+
| Field | Type | Collation | Null | Key | Default | Extra | Privileges | Comment |
+--------+--------------+-------------------+------+-----+---------+-------+---------------------------------+---------+
| Élève | varchar(255) | latin1_general_ci | YES | | NULL | | select,insert,update,references | |
| Classe | varchar(255) | latin1_general_ci | YES | | NULL | | select,insert,update,references | |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

The whole database, tables and columns are currently all set with the latin1 charset and latin1_general_ci collation:

mysql> show variables;
+---------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+---------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
[...]
| character_set_client | latin1 |
| character_set_connection | latin1 |
| character_set_database | latin1 |
| character_set_results | latin1 |
| character_set_server | latin1 |
| character_set_system | utf8 |
| character_sets_dir | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ |
| collation_connection | latin1_swedish_ci |
| collation_database | latin1_general_ci |
| collation_server | latin1_general_ci

Note: before I got privileges working, I had to convert the mysql.tables_priv and mysql.columns_priv tables from UTF-8 charset to latin1 charset, otherwise I could grant privileges but they were not working (people were always denied access). Converting those two tables to latin1 solved the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2005 09:41AM by Eric Martel.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Privileges on tables/columns with special characters
June 16, 2005 02:19PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.