utf-8 import, storage
Posted by: Chris Hirby
Date: July 13, 2005 09:10AM

Hello,

I'm creating a multi-lingual website with mysql 4.1.10a and php 4 and am wondering if my process is "correct" or if I should have done something differently.

The database I have created has a default character set of utf-8. The data comes to me as excel files. When I open the excel files in OpenOffice, the special characters look as they are expected to. I then save each sheet as a utf-8 csv. Then, I import the csv's using php scripts which parse the files, create insert statements and execute them.

The generated HTML pages that use the data are working fine (the characters are showing up as expected). They have a meta charset tag set to utf-8. However, as I view the data using PhpMyAdmin (2.6.1-pl3), the characters are showing up "funny". The PhpMyAdmin pages are using a meta charset tag set to utf-8 as well. This creates a problem if I want to edit the data using special characters directly in PhpMyAdmin.

This leads me to believe that I am doing something wrong. Is my process correct and PhpMyAdmin wrong, or vice versa.

Thank you

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2005 09:18AM by Chris Hirby.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
utf-8 import, storage
July 13, 2005 09:10AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.