MySQL handling of Special Chars, Entities, NCR's, etc
Posted by: Jeff Sabarese
Date: February 03, 2006 02:15AM

I'm interested in what is the best way to deal w/ such things as, for example and in particular, a VARCHAR filed which includes a comma.

how should I handle this? should i use , to represent the comma?

actually-- i guess i know the answer to that because i tried it, and it just went into the db (InnoDB, 4.1.14-nt-max, Latin General ci, VARCHAR) as i view it in its Number Code form-- not shown as a comma.

what do you suggest i do? i want to allow this field to take INSERT and UPDATE queries from an HTML form-- in which a comma may very well be used-- the problem i'm experiencing right now, however, may be because i'm doing the query inside of the MySQL Query Browser, and not via PHP or any other scripting language pre-SQL query. this is for a few reasons-- one of which is to test my INSERT query contents before loading an entire CSV file into my db via a PHP script based on fgetcsv($rawdata,10000)

thanks for reading! i look forward to your reply!

-- -- -- --
Use CSS [ content:" ?? " ] for Unicode + Control Chars (e.g. newline, etc)... Gain understanding of Codepage, Charset, Encoding, Keymapping... Generate CSS and JavaScript on-the-fly with PHP... Tales from the Communications Dept @ NoviceNotes.Net

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2006 02:15AM by Jeff Sabarese.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
MySQL handling of Special Chars, Entities, NCR's, etc
February 03, 2006 02:15AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.