Getting strange characters using latin1 with latin1_swedish_ci
Posted by: Michael Buell
Date: May 04, 2005 06:51AM

I am confused on CHARSET and COLLATE. Can someone help to figure out why I would be getting some strange characters . I am using the default CHARSET and COLLATE, in many of my datetype=text columns I am getting some strange characters, for example:

`I am one of a few artists who dye warp fibers on the loom. With colorfast dyes, I adapted an ancient Japanese technique, Sakizome, dyeing fibers before weaving. I create images on warp fibers taut on the loom by dyeing individual fibers before weaving. Image is dried, then woven in, each design original. Finished projects steamed to set dyes, washed, dried. Often gilded and hand-beaded. Some are double woven, all are natural fibers—silk or cotton; some with woven or patinaed sheets of copper.`

Notice fibers— What is this, how can I determine what the actual character should be as this came from a user form input, Is there a list of charactar translations I can find somewhere? Should I be using a different CHARSET or COLLATE ?

Lost in the electronic wildnerness, any suggestions would be so appreciated!
Michael Buell
mjbuell@homelan.net

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Getting strange characters using latin1 with latin1_swedish_ci
May 04, 2005 06:51AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.