Mixed encoded DB Latin1 & UTF8
Posted by: Brad Warren
Date: February 18, 2009 10:06AM

Hi,

I have a bit of an odd problem, I'm hoping someone here may be able to provide a solution.

My Specs:
MySQL Server version: 5.0.45-community-nt
MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition

Here's the background, we have an InnoDB database with ~155 tables in it that has mixed encoded tables. Some of the tables are in utf8_general_ci, but the bulk are in latin1_general_ci. When the database for our application was initially created, the server was configured to use latin1 by default, we later changed the default encoding to utf8. Eventually, when we updated our application it added new tables to the DB and we realized this might be problematic, as the new tables were added in utf8! Sure enough, we're now seeing issues with the application that seem to be a direct result of this.

I've tried several different methods to correct the encoding, but none have been successful. Specifically it seems that some of the content of the database is simply being lost in the process (the application is Clearspace, and we see some posts that just have much of the content in the body chopped off). I've tried exporting the DB as latin1, then reencoding to utf8 with iconv, sed, etc. But nothing seems to work. I'm wondering now if perhaps we should try to convert the small amount of utf8 tables we have to latin1 before exporting, and then trying to convert it? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 10:07AM by Brad Warren.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Mixed encoded DB Latin1 & UTF8
February 18, 2009 10:06AM
February 21, 2009 12:34AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.