Converting latin1 charset to utf8
Posted by: Rick Baker
Date: March 11, 2009 10:46AM

Hello, I'm not necessarily a MySQL Newbie, but I do have a question that I could use some assistance on.

I have a table with many fields and a large amount of data. The table has a charset of latin1. I am going to be moving one of the larger fields which is a TEXT field into it's own table and need to have the charset for that table to be UTF8 instead of latin1. The database application varies and has been inserting some data as UTF-8 while other data has been inserted as iso-8859-1.

So, my question is what steps do I need to take in order to do this? I've read some info where I should first convert the field to a blob field and then change the charset. But is that necessary when going to an entirely new table? If so, then I'm guessing that I should set the field in a new table as a BLOB and then do the inserts into the new table from the old?

Any assistance you could provide would be great. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Converting latin1 charset to utf8
March 11, 2009 10:46AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.