MySQLAdministrator / MySQLDump generates ANSI instead of UTF8 - why ?
Posted by: Abraham Guyt
Date: September 24, 2009 07:52PM

Hi,

I've got a 5.1.34 server (windows x64) and a UTF8 database and likewise tables, but the content is just basically ASCII, but everything is stored in utf8.

Now I'd like to dump the db, but using either MySQLAdministator or MySQLDump, the output file is always of the type ANSI instead of utf8.

The MySQLDump command I use is (from the MS Command Prompt):

mysqldump -u <user> -r test.sql <dbname> (the default char set is utf8)

The result is a ANSI type text file named test.sql that contains all the right dump (containing SET NAMES utf8 and stuff), but shouldn't the file itself by of the type utf8 ? If the file itself is ANSI, no utf8 characters can be represented correctly in that file I guess.

The result using MySqlAdministrator is exactly the same. Now the admin app states (on the restore panel): 'If you have created the backup with MySQL Administrator the file was written in UTF-8'. Well, I tested it, and the file type generated by it is ANSI !! (containing the right utf8 instructions, but anyway).

Does anyone now what's happening here ? Might it be related to the fact that every single content character in the db fits in the ANSI range, and therefore the file gets downgraded to ANSI ? I have no idea.

Comments welcome :-)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
MySQLAdministrator / MySQLDump generates ANSI instead of UTF8 - why ?
September 24, 2009 07:52PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.