Re: Error inserting UTF8 data into primary key (collation & sharp-s)
Posted by: Jim Jake
Date: March 16, 2011 06:15PM

Thank you for your assistance,

I believe you meant they are considered equivalent in utf8_general_ci but different in utf8_unicode_ci;

With this in mind, I am still trying to understand why I force the session variables, global variables, and database to use utf8_unicode_ci, I am still unable to enter the required data -unless- I also set the particular table to collate=utf8_unicode_ci. If this is not done, then the server appears to continue using utf8_general_ci for comparisons on index updates/insertions. I have not found a way to change this behavior except by forcing it on every table. If this is the case, why do we have the session/ global variables for collation on database/connection/and server?

If I do force the collation on the individual tables, I simply replace the existing problem: "weiß" is now equivalent to "weiss" but "weis" is different. As these values are encoded in utf8, it is my understanding they should be stored as separate values, as we previously had in 5.0. Is this no longer possible?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Error inserting UTF8 data into primary key (collation & sharp-s)
March 16, 2011 06:15PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.