Re: Problems setting connection charset
Posted by: Leszek koltunski
Date: September 05, 2005 10:04PM

Ok, I managed to make some - questionable - progress.

I managed to replace the "SET NAMES" and "SET CHARACTER SET" queries with a call to mysql_set_character_set() function :

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
if( ! mysql_set_character_set( node->front_db, "utf8" ) )
printf("Success\n");

printf("Connection charset: %s\n", mysql_character_set_name(node->front_db) );
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now, that prints "utf8" as desired ( before I couldn't link my app with a call to this function, now I've included the 'mysqlclient.lib' library and things build. BTW, why is this particular function all of the sudden in 'mysqlclient.lib' rather than 'libmysql.h' ? )

However, in terms of functionality, things on only got worse: now it completely eats up all Chinese characters I insert to the DB: ( VC++ code )

CString cmd = "UPDATE products SET NAME= \'ABC <here some chinese stuff> DEF \' ";

int len = cmd.GetLength();
char* command = (char*) malloc( 2*len+1 );
int real_len = mysql_real_escape_string( db, command, cmd, len );

int ret = mysql_real_query( db, command , real_len );

if( ret != 0 ) { /* handle errors ... */ }

free( command );

Now, a "SELECT NAME FROM products" issued from CLI retrieves

ABCDEF

and all the Chinese stuff in between is gone ???

Leszek

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
September 05, 2005 09:31AM
Re: Problems setting connection charset
September 05, 2005 10:04PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.