Cannot import French and special characters
Posted by: Nicolas Verhaeghe
Date: December 21, 2005 05:13PM

When I try to import a dump file into MySQL, for some reason none of the special characters are imported.

I have a bilingual Web site that has options in two languages, one being French, the special characters are not imported.

For instance:

INSERT INTO `options` (`id`, `type_id`, `sort_order`, `english`, `french`) VALUES (33, 5, 999, 'Dark grey', 'Gris foncé');

"Gris foncé" becomes "Gris fonc".

My local (target) version is MySQL 4.1.13a on XP Pro. My server (source) version is a 3.23 on a LInux server. When I export I make sure to export as a 3.23 version, of course.

In the ascii file, the "é" is the regular alt+0233 character.

The table "options" is created as follow:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `options`;
CREATE TABLE `options` (
`id` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
`type_id` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
`sort_order` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL default '999',
`english` varchar(100) NOT NULL default '',
`french` varchar(100) default NULL,
KEY `id` (`id`)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

I have tried all sorts of collations: utf8-unicode-ci, utf8-general-ci, utf8-roman-ci, all the latin1 collations, to no avail: the "é" and all the other special characters are left behind!

The same thing happens when I do an export from my local computer to the server, even with plain English characters: special characters such as the "m" dash are simply replaced by garbage (granted, I should have HTML encoded, but the issue is not here).

What is the best way to make sure that I do not lose any characters when exporting and importing dumps between servers?

And how can I import my dump locally so that "Gris foncé" remains "Gris foncé" and not "Gris fonc?"

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Cannot import French and special characters
December 21, 2005 05:13PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.