Trying to Read MS Access DB on Linux
Posted by: James Cobban
Date: April 29, 2010 10:44PM

I am having great difficulty trying to find out how to read an MS Access database, so as to be able to load its contents into a MySQL database.

Several posts describe how to export the database from MS Access. But I do not have a license for MS Access. and I refuse to enrich the coffers of M$ when I do not want to use their product. I just have a .mdb file, and in any event I am running on Linux, not MSWindows. That, incidentally rules out some of the commercial products that are suggested in the forum.

The title of this forum is "MySQL Migration Toolkit". However almost every URL that I have found to anything related to "MySQL Migration Toolkit" redirects to something apparently unrelated. For example I downloaded the MySQL White Paper entitled "A Guide to Lower Database TCO". This has a reference to "MySQL Migration Toolkit" with the description "Graphically migrate any existing Microsoft Access, Microsoft Access, or Oracle database. Any database with a JDBC Driver can be migrated." That certainly looks like what I want. However if I click on the URL associated with that description it redirects to a page for "MySQL Workbench"! This redirect is consistent with the results of googling "MySQL Migration Toolkit" which arrives at a page that states that MySQL Migration Toolkit "has reached EOL" with advice to use MySQL Workbench. However nowhere in the Workbench documentation that I have read through does it say anything about converting databases.

I am frankly beginning to feel paranoid. All I want to do is read this stupid proprietary file format, and I cannot find any explanation of how to do it!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Trying to Read MS Access DB on Linux
April 29, 2010 10:44PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.