Potentially botched upgrade
Posted by: Joshua White
Date: March 16, 2011 12:32AM

Hi, I created a number of databases using MySQL 4.0.16 on a very old computer, and when I got a new computer (MacBook Pro, shipped with Tiger and a Leopard upgrade disc), it came with mysql 5.0.45. Instead of properly migrating the data, I copied the contents of the 4.0.16 data folder into the 5.0.45 data folder, and it seemed to work even though it isn't the proper way to do it. Recently I bought a new MacBook Pro which came with Snow Leopard, and all of a sudden my local sites (which used the databases) have stopped working—I got different error messages in different contexts, including "could not connect to the database" and "#2000 - mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using old authentication ". I'm not sure why it worked earlier, but I'm pretty sure the problem is the botched upgrade, unfortunately I don't have access to the computer with 4.0.16 anymore and thus I can't redo the process. If there is any way to recover this without too much hassle, that would be great. If not, I'll try and see if I still have 4.0.16 around and see if I can upgrade that to 4.1, then to 5.0, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Potentially botched upgrade
March 16, 2011 12:32AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.