Setting up MySQL DB on a network drive
Posted by: Michael Leon
Date: April 20, 2017 09:51AM

I am trying to setup a MySQL database on a network drive so my colleagues can have access to it. From what I've read, this setup is inadvisable and a better way would be to setup a dedicated MySQL server machine with users connecting via ODBC. Unfortunately, this is not feasible for us at the moment due to a lack of dedicated machine that can be used as a MySQL server.

I am currently using MySQL 5.7. So far, I have been able to do the following:
1. Create a database template in my localhost (C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7\Data)
2. Copy MySQL folder to a network drive (C:\ProgramData\MySQL to O:\Some Network Folder\Another Network Folder\MySQL)
3. Edited mysql_config.pl (in C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7\bin) so that: my $ldata = 'O:/Some Network Folder/Another Network Folder/MySQL/MySQL Server 5.7/data';
4. Restarted MySQL service

MySQL is now unable to connect to a server with the following error:
Could not connect, server may not be running. Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

Is there a step that I'm missing in this process? I am also open to a better way to doing this if anyone has any good ideas.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Setting up MySQL DB on a network drive
April 20, 2017 09:51AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.