Re: Microsoft Access to MySQL migration problem
Posted by: Murray Muspratt-Rouse
Date: June 16, 2005 04:28AM

If I may chip in to an ongoing discussion - I started yesterday thinking that I had successfully exported tables from a Microsoft Access 'back end' (split) database to a new database in MySQL. The euphoria rapidly disappeared when I ffound that I could not add records to tables. Somewhere in the MySQL manual I had managed to get the impression that all I had to do was use the Export function...

Searching the forums I found my way to the Migration Toolkit - and the instruction about the System Tables. Having downloaded the toolkit I ran it - and found that the new database had nothing in it. What threw me was the presence of User name and Password on the display that collects data about the database to be migrated, and the repeated display of 'Execution completed successfully'. At about the third attempt I clicked on the Advanced button (the display tells you to use the Details button!) on the screen that processes the tables to gather all the data required to create them in MySQL. I then realised that I had to grant the Admin user profile the permissions required for the data to be extracted. Then it all worked, and I found that I was able to use the Access front end as though nothing had changed - except for the sequence in which rows are displayed in forms.

May I suggest that the documentation and the Migration Toolkit be updated to help old impatient retirees like me avoid the same mistakes?

Murray

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Microsoft Access to MySQL migration problem
June 16, 2005 04:28AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.