MS SQL to MySQL Rich Text Problems
Posted by: Bruce Maston
Date: November 28, 2010 11:06PM

MS Access 2K is my frontend, and I am trying to migrate the backend from MSSQL to MySQL. There are several rich text (rtf) textboxes on my Access forms. I have downloaded the Microsoft Rich Textbox Control 6.0(SP4) to be able to install these ActiveX controls. It has worked fine using MSSQL.

Testing the migration, I have run into the following problem:
1. If the table column holding the Rich Text is TEXT data type, my textbox shows all the formatting garbage (i.e., the text box is not recognizing the formatting).

2. On the other hand, if the table column is set for BLOG data type, the text box is a long string of questions marks (???????????????????????????).

Since the formatting information remains present in the MySQL table, it seems to me the problem is with the textbox control. Is there another driver other than the MS Rich Textbox 6.0 that I should be using, or another type of activeX control? Or is this problem solvable in my VBA code?

I note that I had quite a time figuring out the syntax for the Access CALL. In the end it turned out to be fairly simple: I will put it here, though I don't see how that could be the problem.

'COMMON SYNTAX FOR MSSQL AND MYSQL:

Set dcn = New ADODB.Connection
dcn.ConnectionString = "DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver};" & _
"SERVER=localhost;DATABASE=mydatabase;UID=root;PWD=mySQLpassword"
Set rst = New ADODB.Recordset
dcn.Open

'MSSQL SYNTAX:
Set rst = dcn.Execute("EXEC nameofProcedure " & _
parameter)

'MYSQL SYNTAX:
Set rst = dcn.Execute("CALL nameofProcedure(" & _
parameter & ")")

The only real difference is CALL instead of EXEC and putting parens around any parameters you want to pass.

Any ideas on this vexing problem would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MS SQL to MySQL Rich Text Problems
November 28, 2010 11:06PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.