MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

Large Table - high frequency reads & writes
Posted by: Jayant Kumar
Date: March 27, 2006 11:35AM

I have a MYISAM table which currently has 90,000,000 records. This is a very high frequency table where user information is being logged and retrieved. The table is growing by 300,000 rows every day.

I was planning to break up the table using my own logic. Which is -> if i create n tables, information of user with id x will go into table no (x%n).

However, i came across mysql partitioning and found that hash partitioning in mysql does exactly what i am planning to do.

My question is :

1. Whenever an insert/update in happening, in a partitioned table, will all partitions be locked? If yes, what task would be accomplished during the locked period or what would be duration of the lock?

2. If i do a select which needs scanning of more than 1 partition, would my queries be executed in parallel on different partitions?

3. Would maintenance/administration of partitions be efficient so that i can increase the no of partitions?

Partitioning in mysql would be a very good feature if it enhances the speed of queries for large tables. I wish i could use it, since it would reduce the burden of administrative overhead on tables broken up my me.

Thanks a lot
-Jayant

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Large Table - high frequency reads & writes
March 27, 2006 11:35AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.