MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

Partitions and locking
Posted by: Benoit St-Jean
Date: October 05, 2006 09:05AM

I've checked the documentation and couldn't find anything related to locks in a partitioned table.

I'm investigating the possibility of using a partitioned table (with InnoDB) to act as a message queue for an in-house middleware. Instead of having a table for every topix/queue, a partitioned table would definitely simplify maintenance and design a lot.

I'm not set on the number of partitions (might be split by topic or by a bogus hashed number) and approximately 50 concurrent users will each insert 15 records at a time into that table while approximately 20 worker-threads will pop those messages (SELECT FOR UPDATE and then DELETE) every 5-10 seconds and put them in their appropriate tables after some data massaging.

I was wondering if this SELECT/DELETE/SELECT_FOR_UPDATE mix would be better handled by a partitioned table (as opposed to a "normal" table) or if any of you can see big trouble on the horizon!

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Partitions and locking
October 05, 2006 09:05AM
October 08, 2006 01:09AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.