MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

Possible to Partition Strings ?
Posted by: joe moe
Date: April 22, 2008 04:47PM

Hello:

I am attempting to develop a database to hold a large number of rows of file names and related information. The main table being searched would be a master name index that would link to the files details. The problem is that the table is so large (around 500 million rows) that the search time is very slow. I am hoping that Partitioning could be a solution to my problem.

Here is the file name index table structure:

File name (PK, string, usually contains a few words)
file size (int)
date (date)

Once a search is done a 'Like' operator will be used against all file names to obtain the most relevant search results, and then the related table with file details will be pulled up (the easy part).

I am unsure how I could use partitioning to segment the data as any search has to match against all names in any case. The user may be searching for a word that is in the middle of a file name or a combination of words within the file name.

If anyone could suggest a method of increasing performance it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Possible to Partition Strings ?
April 22, 2008 04:47PM
April 23, 2008 03:30PM
April 23, 2008 04:15PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.