MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

Re: Reasonable number of partitions?
Posted by: Shlomi Noach
Date: March 11, 2007 08:30AM

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I do indeed expect to have a good performance gain using partition pruning.
My database resembles somewhat a web-based mail service, where a certain table holds data for all users notifications.
Suppose, for example, that you have a Yahoo! mail account, and the table in which your emails reside also holds data for all other users.
What I wish to partition is the HASH for the user ID on this table. Since user queries are only relevant to his/her own data, and never to other users data, I expect a performance boost using partition pruning.

My real scheme, though, also has sub-users, and that's where I wanted to add sub-partitions.

At any case, I took notice of the total 1024 partitions limit, and the fact it's not possible (yet!) to sub partition a HASH partition.

Is there a rough estimation, for some benchmark, for the performance gain achieved by partitioning a table to 10 partitions, to 50, etc.?

Thanks
Shlomi

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
March 08, 2007 10:09AM
Re: Reasonable number of partitions?
March 11, 2007 08:30AM
March 14, 2007 12:34PM
September 20, 2007 08:36PM
September 12, 2007 11:26AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.