MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

Linear Partioning vs Ordinary
Posted by: Double Dragon
Date: March 15, 2010 02:31AM

I was just doing some tests to see how simple key partitioning distributes data as compared to linear key partitioning. In my tests, the distribution with linear was very similar to that of ordinary partitioning. I was using the ID field of my test table for key partitioning and checking the information_schema.partitions table, the distribution among the partitions with incrementing data seemed like round robin (as a result of doing modulus on incrementing data) in both cases.

I remember from the MySQL manual that linear key partitioning boosts the performance for very large sets of data with the disadvantage that the data is not distributed evenly across partitions. In my test data, as limited and scalar as it was, the distribution seemed the same while the calculation is obviously more than just modulus used by simple partitioning. Could anyone please provide with some scenario in which it is possible to see how data distribution is skewed and more efficient than simple modulus distribution?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Linear Partioning vs Ordinary
March 15, 2010 02:31AM
March 19, 2010 08:09AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.