MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

SOLVED; DISK USAGE When Alter table HASH
Posted by: Hawk T
Date: May 25, 2010 03:29PM

Hi,

I have a large data set I would like to add HASH partitioning too, so I thought I could just issue an ALTER TABLE to add 5 HASH partitions. This worked on a small test set of data I had, but when I moved a set with about 14 million rows, it seems that MySQL makes temporary tables to put the data in, but these files get waaayyy bigger than the original set of data. What causes this? Is there an easy way around this or is it better to make a new table, and then issue an INSERT INTO statement?

EX: a 1.6GB size went to 7.6, and it is not nearly done yet.... will it go back to the original 1.6, or does partitioning make it that much bigger?? I understand it will be a little larger due to the added files, but how can it go from 1.6 GB to 7.6GB?

Thanks!

MySQL Version:mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.46, for redhat-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.1

-------------------------

For solution see reply, it was since my table was corrupted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2010 09:22AM by Hawk T.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
SOLVED; DISK USAGE When Alter table HASH
May 25, 2010 03:29PM
May 26, 2010 09:22AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.