MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

Re: Range partition and unique key
Posted by: Rick James
Date: September 27, 2014 08:25AM

> And partitionning is recommended in this situation...

That is not enough justification. To be blunt, I suggest that the person/book recommending PARTITIONing is wrong. Or did the recommendation include some qualifiers that you have not mentioned yet?

Since you are not DELETEing "old" rows, the primary use of PARTITIONing is unnecessary -- DROP PARTITION is much faster than DELETEing lots of rows.

You have not mentioned what the SELECTs are like -- a few (very few) SELECTs will benefit from PARTITIONing. Let's discuss your SELECTs and see if any of them could benefit. In doing so, I will need to see SHOW CREATE TABLE (assuming you left out some of the fields).

> I'm using MyIsam because I make only insert and select in db and have many entries so have better performance with MyIsam engine...

* Have you verified that performance is better with MyISAM? It used to be -- a decade ago.
* Has the system ever crashed -- leaving that MyISAM table in need of a multi-hour REPAIR TABLE? (InnoDB is self repairing and much faster.)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
September 24, 2014 08:42AM
September 25, 2014 09:59AM
September 26, 2014 03:40AM
Re: Range partition and unique key
September 27, 2014 08:25AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.