MySQL 8.0 is making rapid progress, with the final DMR coming soon... followed by RC and GA.
it is time to switch to InnoDB:
specifically, about Partitioning:
- starting with 8.0
- storage engines must provide "Native Partitioning"
- InnoDB and NDB both have "Native Partitioning"
- MyISAM will continue to be available, but does not have native partitioning
WL#8971: Deprecate and remove partitioning storage engine
- "This WL is about deprecation (5.7) and removal (5.8) of the partitioning storage engine (ha_partition). After this WL, partitioning will only be available for storage engines that support this natively."
- "Deprecate and remove partitioning storage engine (WL#8971) — This work by Sivert Sørumgård deprecates (5.7) and removes (8.0) the partitioning storage engine (ha_partition). The responsibility for partitioning has been moved down to the storage engine layer. InnoDB supports partitioning from 5.7 and onwards."